First published in the Feb. 23 print issue of the Pasadena Outlook.
At the annual meeting held in Los Angeles on Feb. 8, Elizabeth Williams Shoemaker, president of Las Madrinas, presented Bonnie Blackman McClure, chair of the associates and affiliates of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, with a $1.8 million donation to the Las Madrinas Endowment.
The sizeable gift resulted from a year in which 34 families were honored at the 2022 ball. The funds are designated to a $5 million pledge to the Las Madrinas Diagnostic Innovation Endowment at CHLA.
During the meeting, nine Las Madrinas members were honored for their generosity to the organization: Elita Hotaling Balfour, Nancy Sturdy DeNero, Kathryne Halverson Garland, Brooke Larsen Garlock, Kathleen LeRoy Majcher, Wendy Kroger Sanders, Elizabeth Williams Shoemaker, Michele Lanctot Waller and Courtney Cummings Wolff. Their names will be added to the Las Madrinas plaque displayed in the CHLA lobby, which recognizes the dedication and exceptional commitment of Las Madrinas members. An additional member, Katherine Marik Thompson, was honored with the Las Madrinas Butterfly Plaque, which is designed to recognize the existing plaque honorees for their continued benevolence.
Since 1933, Las Madrinas has raised more than $60 million in support of CHLA, including the funding of nine Las Madrinas Endowments in the last 34 years alone. This steadfast commitment has helped CHLA maintain its stature as the best children’s hospital in California. U.S. News & World Report selected the hospital to their prestigious Honor Roll, confirming Children’s Hospital as among the best in the nation for clinical excellence.
CHLA is home to The Saban Research Institute, one of the largest and most productive pediatric research facilities in the United States. The hospital is also one of America’s premier teaching hospitals through its affiliation, since 1932, with the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California.
Las Madrinas elected its new board of directors for 2023:
• President: Kathryne Halverson Garland of Pacific Palisades
• Vice President: Michele Lanctot Waller of Pasadena
• Treasurer: Kathleen LeRoy Majcher of Manhattan Beach
• Recording Secretary: Miranda Kobritz Payne of Los Angeles
• Corresponding Secretary: Carrie Sullivan Walker of San Marino
• Ball Chair: Emily Williamson Hancock of Pasadena
• Debutante Chair: Hilary O’Rourke Wynperle of Pacific Palisades
• Development Chair: Helen Jukic Graves of Pacific Palisades
• Public Relations Chair: Michele Nishiyama Esbenshade of San Marino
• Advisor: Katherine Marik Thompson of Los Angeles
• Past President: Elizabeth Williams Shoemaker of Los Angeles
The newest members of Las Madrinas were introduced:
• Anne McIntyre Bessant of Los Angeles
• Jane Belmont Peutet of Pasadena
• Mimi Won Techentin of Pasadena
• Allison Weber Washburn of Pacific Palisades
• Kristin Hedman Waters of Pacific Palisades